KINABATANGAN, April 2 (Bernama) -- The Kinabatangan district was declared a flood disaster area at 4.45 pm today due to continuous rain and rising river water levels to dangerous levels at the time.
The Sabah State Disaster Management Committee secretariat in a statement reported that so far, seven villages in the area have been affected by the floods, and a temporary relief centre (PPS) was opened at Sekolah Kebangsaan Bukit Garam at 6 pm today.
"Currently, the process of evacuating the victims is being carried out by the Civil Defence Force (APM), police and fire department," said the statement.
The statement also said that the current water level readings are rising slowly, and Sabah Electricity has cut off the electricity supply to all flood-hit areas.
-- BERNAMA
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial