REGION - SARAWAK > NEWS

US DEMOCRATIC SENATORS CRITICISE TRUMP ADMINISTRATION’S RESPONSE TO MYANMAR QUAKE

Published : 03/04/2025 10:36 PM

ISTANBUL, April 3 (Bernama-Anadolu) -- Democratic US senators on Wednesday criticised the Trump administration for its delayed and inadequate response to Myanmar’s earthquake disaster, urging a stronger emergency aid effort, Anadolu Ajansi reported.

In a letter to Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent, six Democratic senators condemned the administration’s handling of the crisis.

Sens. Elizabeth Warren, Christopher Coons, Tim Kaine, Tammy Duckworth, Chris Van Hollen, and Jeffrey A. Merkley said the deadly quake had prompted swift action from several nations, including China, Russia, India, Malaysia, Vietnam, and Thailand, but “it is unclear what, if any, emergency response the United States has marshalled thus far.”

The letter underlined that this is the first test of Washington’s ability to provide humanitarian assistance and disaster relief in the wake of the administration’s foreign assistance review and attempted dismantling of the US Agency for International Development (USAID).

“We are deeply concerned that the Administration’s response is failing to meet both our moral and strategic objectives – sending a signal to countries around the world that our adversaries are more reliable and trustworthy than the United States,” the letter said.

Referring to sanctions on Myanmar since its 2021 coup, it continued: “We ask that you make clear that US sanctions will not impede the provision of critical relief in the wake of this natural disaster, and we urge you to organise a stronger emergency assistance effort as the death toll climbs and millions of displaced people endure both aftershocks from the earthquake and ongoing Burmese military airstrikes.”

Myanmar used to be known as Burma.

The senators also questioned why the administration had not deployed a Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART), a group typically sent to large-scale disasters.

“DARTs include crisis specialist contractors who can deploy quickly, but the Trump administration has fired many of them and has dissolved the infrastructure to support these teams,” it added.

Rescuers continued efforts to reach survivors as the death toll from last Friday's earthquake in Myanmar exceeded 3,000, with hundreds still missing, state media reported on Thursday.

A massive 7.7-magnitude quake last Friday struck mostly the Southeast Asian nation's central region — home to 28 million people — toppling buildings and leaving communities without food, water, and shelter.

Some 53 aid flights have so far landed in Myanmar, while over 1,900 rescue workers have arrived from 15 countries, including Southeast Asian neighbours, as well as China, India, and Russia.

-- BERNAMA-ANADOLU

 


BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.

Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial

© 2025 BERNAMA   • Disclaimer   • Privacy Policy   • Security Policy