KUALA LUMPUR, Feb 22 (Bernama) -- Prime Minister Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim said the Cabinet will hold further discussions this Friday regarding the United States (US) tariff issue.
“Only then we will respond. Wait for Friday,” he told reporters after attending the Iftar with the Prime Minister event and the launch of the Rakan Masjid X Rakan Muda Ramadan programme here today.
He was asked about the US Supreme Court’s decision on Friday which struck down most of the tariff measures previously introduced by Donald Trump, ruling that the US President did not have the authority under federal law to unilaterally impose sweeping tariffs.
Trump was subsequently reported as saying he would impose a new 10 per cent tariff on countries worldwide under new powers after the Supreme Court nullified his global import tax campaign.
Anwar, who is also Finance Minister, said that at present the Ministry of Investment, Trade and Industry (MITI) is examining the matter.
He said MITI is currently coordinating the issue with stakeholders, including counterparts in Washington as well as partners in Southeast Asia, to determine the next course of action.
-- BERNAMA
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial