LOS ANGELES, Feb 22 (Bernama-Xinhua) -- The bodies of all nine people who died in a deadly avalanche in US Northern California earlier this week have been recovered, authorities said on Saturday, reported Xinhua.
Officials confirmed that four bodies were recovered on Friday and five others on Saturday morning. All the bodies were hoisted out by helicopters.
The avalanche struck at approximately 11.30 am local time on Tuesday in the remote Castle Peak area in Nevada County.
A group of 15 people, including 11 clients and four guides from Blackbird Mountain Guides, a professional backcountry tour company, was returning to the trailhead at the conclusion of a three-day guided ski trip when the accident occurred, the company said in a statement.
Only six in the group survived the avalanche, the deadliest avalanche in the country in more than four decades. The survivors were rescued Tuesday evening after search and rescue teams navigated blizzard conditions for several hours. Eight of the skiers were confirmed dead on Wednesday, with the ninth missing and presumed dead until Saturday.
— BERNAMA-XINHUA
BERNAMA provides up-to-date authentic and comprehensive news and information which are disseminated via BERNAMA Wires; www.bernama.com; BERNAMA TV on Astro 502, unifi TV 631 and MYTV 121 channels and BERNAMA Radio on FM93.9 (Klang Valley), FM107.5 (Johor Bahru), FM107.9 (Kota Kinabalu) and FM100.9 (Kuching) frequencies.
Follow us on social media :
Facebook : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatv, @bernamaradio
Twitter : @bernama.com, @BernamaTV, @bernamaradio
Instagram : @bernamaofficial, @bernamatvofficial, @bernamaradioofficial
TikTok : @bernamaofficial